Thursday, February 2, 2012

February 2, 2012

Today I cleaned off my desk. I write from a Queen Anne partners’ desk: it looks like a table but for the long drawers and my reading and writing piled on top.

I have been longing to clear this space so I would feel my mind was clear, too. Important activities claimed my time – appropriately – and now I have had a moment to draw a breath and sort it. It was tempting to toss the papers in a box! I thought I might put them in a drawer until I needed them. But it was better to look them over, deal with or file them, and recycle the excess paper.

My desk looks great.

Is your life like that at all? Does it seem that events and responsibilities pile up until you can’t see a clear space to even jot a note?

Do you ever think that if you could clear it all away - really get it in order - that you would be free?

I think the life of faith is like that. Sometimes there are things that need to be cleaned up. We need to ask for forgiveness. Or we ought to reclaim an old friendship. Maybe we are waiting to tell someone we love them, but the longer we put it off, the more things seem to get in the way, and it starts to feel difficult and unnatural.  

Don’t you breathe more deeply after it’s done? God is such a great companion, giving us the fortitude we need to attend to our relationships. God always gives us the courage to look at the mess, and the strength to begin.

Blessings as you see what needs to be done,



The Rev. Dr. Catherine Faith MacLean

No comments:

Post a Comment