Thursday, April 26, 2012

April 26, 2012


When I moved to Yellowknife twenty-two years ago, of course I wanted to understand the community. I was living as a guest on First Nations land. How would I get to know the culture? Language has always been a way for me to learn about people, so I signed up for language lessons. I took Dogrib. I learned a great deal – and here’s a word I heard a lot: ketetso. It was an election year, and ketetso is the word for election in that Dene language.

As an Albertan, I have learned a great deal about my neighbours this spring, too. An election is a peculiar experience of trust. What do the lawn signs mean about the people who live in those particular houses? How do property rights, care of the vulnerable, and change invigorate us to act together?

So here we are, post-election day, savouring the votes delivered and decisions made. What do we do about platforms stated, promises made and disappointments endured? How, as the trendy say, do we move forward?

The gospel keeps us moving, I think. Jesus made his way to Jerusalem and his disciples made their way to Ephesus and Rome and India. They crossed each river, walked each road, and stopped in each
welcoming home bringing peace and a word of respect for every
person. They did this confident of the love they knew in Jesus.

May you and I have the grace to greet our neighbours with peace,
act with respect for the vulnerable, and move forward in love. It’s been quite a ketetso


Blessings,



The Rev. Dr. Catherine Faith MacLean

No comments:

Post a Comment