Thursday, May 17, 2012

May 17, 2012


This sunny morning the lilacs seem to be racing against time to produce green leaves and the ensuing promise of purple flowers. This is a tender season as buds force themselves into the light so quickly, and the canopy of green elm and ash reasserts itself against the lengthening blue in the sky.
The sun shall not strike them, nor any scorching heat.
I didn't resonate with the biblical need for shelter from the sun and sky until I moved here, where the long days and dry heat - and cold - are so unrelenting. Beautiful but unrelenting. On the east coast, sunshine and heat are welcome respite from grey fog and summer rain. Here I have learned a different sense of sun and long evenings.

I always appreciated the part of the biblical passage that follows: and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes. But now I have a fuller sense of the protection we need from the open sky. I am watching the trees on my street form a sheltering green cover, and hour by hour I see a difference.

Tender and brave, those buds are. They press against the morning air and break open with a shimmering green of hope.
I trust that in your rough, unprotected times, when the heat of life seems set to scorch you, that the promise of Revelation 7 brings you relief. I trust the gentle hand of God will wipe away the tears, and a canopy of fragrant greening hope will protect you.  


Blessings,

The Rev. Dr. Catherine Faith MacLean

No comments:

Post a Comment